Posts
208
Comments
1144
Trackbacks
CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources

Thanks to everyone who attended my “MVC in the Real World” presentation at CMAP Code Camp today.  The code as well as the PowerPoint can be downloaded here:

MVC in the Real World Download

I also had a few other requests during the talk.  First, I had a request to post the code as it looked at the very beginning of my talk before I modified anything.  You’ll find that link on the download page above as well (file name: PersonalInfoManager-ReadlWorldMVC-Begin.zip).

Second, I was asked about a couple of the tools I was using.  You can see the links for all the tools I use (almost all free) on my Developer Tools and Utilities page.

Third, I had a request to post some links that discussed some of the Unit Testing best practices. Brad Wilson (one of the primary developers of xUnit) co-authored this excellent article: Effective Unit Testing. I also really like this slide deck which he also published: Lessons Learned in Programmer Testing. Roy Osherove also has a great post on Naming Standards for Unit Tests. Finally, I love this article by Jeremy Miller in MSDN magazine entitled Designing for Testability. One of his article’s major premises is that “testable” code typically will naturally result in “well designed” code – a concept that I’m a huge fan of.

posted on Saturday, November 7, 2009 8:10 PM Print
Comments
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
jim novak
11/9/2009 11:07 AM
great talk on Saturday, you cleared up a lot of questions... thanks!
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
Lei
11/9/2009 12:21 PM
Simply enjoyable session!
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
Sachin
11/9/2009 5:15 PM
Great talk as usual. I enjoy all your talks and learn a lot.
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
Ernest
11/10/2009 8:13 AM
Hi thanks for the code but where is the full appli or the reference please ?

Cordially

Ernest
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
Steve
11/10/2009 8:58 AM
@Ernest - Everything is contained in that zip file including the references which can be found in the "References" folder. When you create the database, you can just F5 and run the app.
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
Henry
11/10/2009 11:10 AM
thanks for the presentation and the code!!
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
reseller
3/30/2010 5:08 AM
How does one attend such a code camp? Does one need an invitation or is it a camp only for a certain school?
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
Steve
3/30/2010 7:16 AM
Code camps and user groups are always free. For one in your area, check out: http://communitymegaphone.com/
# MembersipServices database
Kyle
5/1/2010 9:55 AM
I noticed you have two databases. What're the benefits to have a seperate MembershipService database? Thanks!
# re: CMAP Code Camp – MVC in the Real World Code Samples and Extra Resources
Steve
5/2/2010 8:32 AM
@Kyle - There are numerous benefits to having a separate database for Membership including the ability to use a single database to manage multiple authentication stores for multiple applications, having a unified database for a single authentication store, as well as being able to manage the security of the membership database differently if desired. However, if you have just a small stand-alone web app, there is no harm in merging the Membership schema into your application database and just having one database for your application.

Title *
Name *
Comment *
Verification

View Steve Michelotti's profile on LinkedIn

profile for Steve Michelotti at Stack Overflow, Q&A for professional and enthusiast programmers

Google My Blog