D'Arcy from Winnipeg
Solution Architecture, Business & Entrepreneurship, Microsoft, and Adoption

Ketchup?

Friday, January 5, 2007 9:17 AM

Matt made a comment on one of my blog posts or his blog recently about how he thought my use of ketchup was weird (from our breakfasts at Tech Ed back in 2005). So that got me curious: what do you put ketchup on? Here's a short list...tell me if this is a Canadian thing or just a D'Arcy thing:

Eggs (if scrambled)
Bacon
Hashbrowns
Perogies
Meatloaf
Meatpie

D

Feedback

# re: Ketchup?

I think it's it a Winterpeg thing. (I'm from Toronto Area)

Ketchup on Bacon?!? Dude, that's like sacrilegious

I don't put Ketchup on Bacon, Eggs or Perogies. Perogies are for sour cream. And lots of it. I do put ketchup on Fish & Chips and KD (I eat it when I cook it for the kids). My kids put Ketchup on mashed potatoes. I'm not sure what that's about, but they eat it.

1/5/2007 9:30 AM | thorkia

# re: Ketchup?

I haven't bought any ketchup for over 6 years, but on hashbrowns and meatloaf is good. On Fish & Chips is just wrong....unless it's the crap stuff we normally get here in North America. 1/5/2007 9:51 AM | Donald Belcham

# re: Ketchup?

Ketchup is a DISGUSTING thing. On *anything*!! Yuck.

And speaking as half Ukranian half German there is *NO WAY* you put ketchup on perogies. That's blasphemous.

Gross man! ;) 1/5/2007 10:03 AM | Justice~!

# re: Ketchup?

I'm surprised that Justice didn't leave a comment that contained the recipe for a ketchup protien shake. Maybe he's saving that for his own blog. 1/5/2007 11:19 AM | Donald Belcham

# re: Ketchup?

I use ketchup on scrambled eggs, potatoes, hashbrowns, meatloaf, poutine, and fried baloney.

I know my bacon has had ketchup before but I prefer maple syrup. I've seen ketchup on KD so that's not weird to me. As for perogies, the only time I think of them is when I'm watching Men in Black.

Shall we ask what you put molasses on next? I'm a big fan of buttered bread with molasses .. yumm, yumm ! 1/5/2007 11:28 AM | Jason Row

# re: Ketchup?

Ketchup was designed to go on pretty much anything related to meat, eggs, and cheese. Yep cheese, ever had a grilled cheese sandwich dipped in ketchup? sooooo good 1/5/2007 5:44 PM | Chris Carter

# re: Ketchup?

Oh man, maple syrup on bacon is the BOMB!

Next time you have perogies, try it with ketchup. It's AWESOME!

Grilled Cheese sandwhiches are also really good if you put in some sweet chili sauce in the sandwhiches while it's cooking as well.

D 1/6/2007 11:39 AM | D'Arcy from Winnipeg

# re: Ketchup?

I'm with Jason Row re: maple syrup on bacon. Maple syrup = good for bacon, sausage, pancakes, French toast.

Ketchup = good with French fries, pan-fried potatoes, and hamburgers and hot dogs. It's not awful on perogies, but there are a bazillion better things to have w/perogies than the red sauce. Ditto for the frozen-variety fish-and-chips; it's a decent substitute if you're lacking tartar sauce, but not a first choice.

1/6/2007 1:39 PM | Mrs Loquacious

# re: Ketchup?

Ketchup for me on all but the bacon... I'm a fellow-'Pegger, so I guess it must be normal here!

Have you tried:
Soysauce on french fries?
Salty good!

Salsa, brunchetta or antipasto on your eggs or potatoes?
Good anywhere ketchup is an option!
Even better with cheese melted on.

Lemon dill, plum, orange-ginger, shrimp cocktail or pineapple sauce on any food you might put ketchup on?
When I serve chicken nuggets or strips, fishsticks or breaded shrimp, I make a dipping sauce smorg.
It adds entertainment and variety to the meal, as you gaze meaningfully at your companions and say, "I can't believe you are going to eat that combination!"

Cheers! 1/11/2007 2:01 PM | Vicki Rempel